Pattern of cardiac disease at pediatric cardiac clinic of Tikur Anbessa Hospital
A retrospective descriptive study conducted on 324 children with cardiac disease presenting for the first time at the pediatrics cardiac clinic ofTikur Anbessa Hospital in two years, January 03-December 04. It was found out 177(54.6%), 127(39.2%) and 20(6.2%) of patients had Congenital Heart Disease, Rheumatic Heart Disease and non Rheumatic acquired heart disease respectively, with male to female ratio of I: 1.36. The study revealed Ventricular Septal defect(VSD) in 48(27.1%), Patent Ductus arteriosus(PDA) in 27(15.2%), and Atrial Septa Defect(ASD) in 23 ( 13.0%) mixed lesion in 24(13.6%) as the commonest congenital heart disease seen in the study period ..All patients with Rheumatic Heart disease had mitral valve involvement. Pure mitral lesion was seen in 44(34.6%) of Rheumatic Heart disease of patients. Myocarditis in 7(35.0%), dilated Cardiomyopathy in 5(25.0%) and arrhythmia in 4(20.0%) were the main types of non rheumatic
acquired heart disease followed in the clinic. Thus, both congenital and rheumatic heart diseases are still significant causes of morbidity in Ethiopian children. I-Ience, community based surveys arc needed to identi fy environmental risk factors, the magnitude of the problem so as to develop effective medical service and control measures.
2. Samanek M and Voriskova M. Congenital heart disease among 815569 children born between 1980-1990 and their 15 year survival: A prospective Bohemia survival study Pediatr Cardiolo.1999 Nov_Dec 20(6) : 411-7
'3 . Mamdouh AL: A clinicoepidemology study of heart disease in school children of Menoufia, Egypt.Ann SaudiMed 1994; 14 (3).
4. Ekra A, Bertrand E. Rheumatic Heart Disease in Africa. World Health Forum. 1992; 13 :33 1-3
5. Nordet P. Rheumatic Heart Disease in 16 developing countries: report from phase I (1986-90). Bull world Health organ. 1992; 70:213-8
6. Arguedas A, Mohs E. Prevention of rheumatic fever in Costa Rica. J pediatr.1992; 121 :569-72
7. Kehoe MA. Group A streptococcal antigen and vaccine potential. Vaccine 1991 ;9: 797-8056
8. Hadgu P and parry, EHO 1968. Ethiopian cardio vascular studies V: cardiac diseases in children. Ethiop Med J 6: 135-40
9. Ey. J and Johnson C. 1974 ' Management of cardiac disease in a pediatric cardiology Clinic. Ethiop Med J 12: 125-30
10. Belay Abegaz. Pattern of cardiac disease in an Ethiopian children's hospital. Ethiop Med J 1988; 26:1-7
II. Oli k, T. Haimanot R, Forsgren L, Ekstedt 1. RHO prevalence amtmg school children of an Ethiopian rural town. Cardiology 1992; 80: 152-5.
12. Oli k, Jenny P. Rheumatic Heart Disease among school chi ldren in Addis Ababa city: Awareness and adequacy of its prophylaxis, Ethiop Med J 1999; 37:155-60.
More inside the PDF