Prevalence and Determinants of Death from Tuberculosis Meningitis at Ethio-Swedish Children's Hospital
A retrospective Descriptive analysis was made of 92 cases of Tuberculosis meningitis (TBM) admitted to Ethio-Swedish children's hospital in years 1989-1998. Diagnostic criteria included cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) pleocytosis, increases CSF protein, exclusion of other bacterial meningitis by gram stain or culture, suggestive radiographic changes and clinical course and history of exposure to tuberculosis. Thirry five patients were less than 5 yrs old or 5 yrs old. The commonest presenting symptoms were fever, vomiting, and cough, the most frequent physical signs were disturbed consciousness and meningeal signs 5 I pt had been exposed to tuberculosis. Forty of the chest radiograms had suggestive of tuberculosis, sixty parents came from low economic status and low educational background. Five patients were taken home against medical advice; 43 died in the hospital, 26 (57%) of the discharged patients had different types of neurological sequelae.
2. A Clinical Manual WHO: TB/96,200, 55-61 . Pierre C. et al. Childhood tuberculosis still with us. Children in the tropics, 1992( 196-197):
3. Stark JR. Tuberculosis. In: Behrman R E, Kliegman R M , editors. Nelson textbook of pediatrics. Philadelphia Saunders 1992: 834-836.
4. Kendig EH, [nselman LS. Tuberculosis in Children. 233-257
5. Getnet Z and Esscher E. Ten years Experience of Tuberculosis Meningitis in Children. Eth. Med. J. 1984; 22: 49-54 "
6. Gebremariam A. Predictors of mortal ity in Childhood Neurotuberculosis: A retrospective study of 84 cases. E Afri Med J.1990;67: 756-760
7. Daniel TM. New approaches to the Rapid Diagnosis of Tuberculosis Meningiti s. J. hifect Dis. 1987; 155: 599-602
8. Humphries MJ, Jcair TR and Gabriel M. Factors of Prognostic Significance in Chinese Children with Tuberculosis meningitis. Tubercle 1990; 71: 161 - 168
9. Ahuja GR, Mohan KK, Prasad K, Behari M . Diagnositic Criteria for Tuberculous Meningitis and their validation. Tuberc. Lung Dis. 1994; 75: 149-1 52.
10. Berman S, KibeI MA, Fourie PB, Strebel PM. Childhood tuberculosis and tuberculosis. meningitis: High incidence rate in Western Cape South Africa. Tuberc. Lung Dis.1992; 73: 349-355.
II . Ramachandran P, Durapandian M, Rechtha AM, Mahalaskshni SM and Prabracar R. Long Term Status of Children Treated for Tuberculous Meningitis in South India. Tubercle 1989; 70:235-239.
12, Ayuela PEM. Trends in tuberculosis meningitis in Barcelona in Children aged 0-4 years:Correlation with the annual risk of tuberculosis infection. Tubercle and Lung Disease. 1994;75: 423-428
More inside the PDF